I was tasked with creating a more engaging and user-friendly 404 page. My team was conducting a content audit and we wanted to ensure that if users ended up on the dreaded 404, they would have another place to go.
This was part of a larger initiative to archive older, lower-performing articles. We used a 410 protocol on all articles we deleted to ensure we wouldn’t get penalized on Google for having too many 404 protocols. We used 301 protocols on the content that was just below our view threshold but still needed to be deleted. These pages were redirected to corresponding category pages to further improve the user experience.